Police Advice on Home Security
Published: 14 September 2018
This comes from Thames Valley Police: Home security advice:
Burglaries are still being reported in our area. There are simple crime prevention tips to keep your property safe:
- Lock all front and rear doors and windows at night and when you are out.
- Keep all valuables and keys, including car keys, out of sight and out of reach of windows and letterboxes. Double check your vehicle is locked too.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of your property. Move bins away from side walls and fences.
- Keep ladders and tools stored away. Don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home.
Are you going on holiday?
- Please do not advertise that you are going away on social media – wait until you get home to upload your holiday snaps!
- Check that your home insurance policy, as some may pay out less or not at all, if you have posted that you are away on social media.
- Use a timer switch to make your house look occupied, even when it isn’t.
- Ask someone you trust to keep an eye on your house while you are away.
- Don’t leave spare keys in obvious places such as under doormats and plant pots.