How to reduce the risk of burglary
Published: 28 November 2019
The Christmas and New Year period is a time when Thames Valley Police, and other forces around the country, experience an increase in residential burglary.
If you are celebrating at home over Christmas or at New Year, you can help to protect your property by taking a few simple steps:
- Don’t leave presents on view under the Christmas tree.
- Cut up packaging for any expensive items so that it will fit inside your refuse bin, never leave boxes next to the bin where they can be seen.
- Remember to mark your valuables using a UV pen and register them on the national property register at www.immobilise.com.
If you are going away, you can deter burglars by making your home appear occupied:
- Double check that you have locked your windows and doors before leaving.
- Light up your living room using timer switch. A TV simulator can also be used to make give the appearance of a TV screen being used.
- Invite a neighbour to park on your drive while you are away.
You can find more information on how to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of burglary by downloading your FREE Home Security Guide
from the Thames Valley Police website.